Tuesday, October 22, 2013

On My Plate

I have tearing it up in the kitchen lately! I want to start putting some of our fave recipes on here so they don't get lost in never never land.

First up- Black Bean Cakes, adapted from chow.com

Now I'm not a huge breakfast person. I don't eat meat, am not a huge egg person, and I feel like something sweet in the morning just makes me even more hungry. My go-to breakfast is usually a fruit smoothie. Ocassionally though, I do get in the mood for something hearty in the AM. Enter black bean cakes.


For the black bean cakes:

  • 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs (I used panko, gotta go with what you got)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (raining and didn't want to go outside to get it so I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 chilli pepper (I grabbed on from our chilli plant, but you could use hot sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal

Sauce:

  • 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt (or can use sour cream
  • 1/4 cup chunky salsa
Place beans, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Pulse until ingredients are incorporated and beans are broken down but some whole beans remain, about 15 pulses. Stop the processor and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula during processing.

Form 6 (3-inch) patties and dust each patty on both sides with cornmeal.

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Place 3 patties in the pan and fry until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and repeat on the second side. Now I have a deep seeded fear of frying things so my handsome kitchen assistant steps in here to help me out. I think next time I am going to try baking.
 
Sohail likes an egg on top. I generally omit. Combine salsa and yogurt to make sauce to spoon on top.

1 comment:

  1. The Flying Biscuit does something similar to this that I adore. Black bean cakes are pretty amazing. And filling!

    ReplyDelete